Home Remedies From Things Already In Your House
Are you looking to take a hot minute to get equipped for the germs making their way into your home? In my experience, if I have these things on hand, I can start treatment immediately and my sanity can remain intact.
This small investment will definitely come in handy if you have multiply kids. We do NOT want the whole house to become sick – at least that one of my main goals.
First Show Stoppers
On Guard+ These capsules are made by dōTERRA and I take them 2-4 times a day when my kids are sick. This will usually protect me from getting what they have very effectively. WIN!
Garlic– A powerhouse natural antibiotic, anti fungal, and antibacterial, garlic can tackle almost any illness. Note: Pregnant women should not take more than 1 clove of garlic medicinally per day.
Hot Liquids– Load up on the hot herbal teas and hot lemon water at first sign of illness. The heat helps boost immune system and a variety of herbs can help with infection.
Teas I use: Echinacea goldenseal, ginger, throat coat and lemon.
Cinnamon Oil- Good for more than just stabilizing blood sugar, cinnamon is an effective antiviral and antibiotic. When sick, mix 1 drop of dōTERRA essential oil with 1 teaspoon of honey and stir to make a very effective tea that helps relieve cough and congestion and lower an overheated child.
Herbs to Help
There are many herbs that support the body when healing from an illness. Here is what I have used for my family.
- Nettle Leaf- It contains large amounts of vitamins and trace minerals and helps the body stay hydrated and remove toxins
- Elderberry– Elderberry is well known for supporting the body, especially during flu. You can find conventionally made elderberry syrups at many stores now, or to save money, make your own.
- Ginger– In capsule form, ginger can greatly help with nausea and vomiting associated with the flu. It can also help with high fever and headache. Fresh ginger root can be steeped in boiling water to make a tea that is very effective against sinus symptoms and congestion.
- Yarrow- Great for flu and fever, and great for children. If used abundantly in tea or tincture at the beginning of an illness, it will usually shorten the illness to less than 24 hours. It is especially good for fevers as it induces perspiration and is great for all childhood type illnesses.
- Chamomile– I always have this herb on hand. It is an absolute staple, especially for kids. Chamomile calms the nerves, helps children sleep better and reduces inflammation or fever.
Vitamins & Omega’s For Cold and Flu Treatment
- Vitamin D3- A hormone precursor, this vitamin is finally getting recognition as a necessary nutrient for health. Optimizing Vitamin D levels can help prevent illness in the first place, and taking several thousand IU a day while sick can help speed recovery.
- Vitamin C- Perhaps the best vitamin for cold and flu, vitamin C in large amounts can greatly speed recovery. Most adults need 2,000-5,000 mg a day or more when ill, and kids can need up to 2,000 mg. It is water soluble, so chance of overdose is low.
- Kids Omega – I go with dōTERRA. It is the only one my kids will take willingly! I think it is the sweet orange flavor.
Natural Antibiotics and Antivirals for Illness Treatment
There are several potent natural antibiotics that in some cases work much better than store bought varieties. The following are ones I keep around at all times:
- Oregano Oil– Oregano oil is a potent natural antibiotic and antiviral. When 5-6 drops are put in a glass of water and gargled, it can stop a sore throat in its tracks. 56 drops in a glass of water swallowed can help kill flu or infection in under 24 hours. It is tough to get kids to take oregano oil, as it is very strong. Pregnant women should not take oregano oil.
- Thyme and Thyme Oil– Thyme oil rubbed on the skin will help the body fight infection. Pregnant women and small children should not use thyme.
- Frankincense Oil – Known as the king of essential oils, Frankincense has a variety of notable uses and benefits. This powerful essential oil is revered for its ability to promote cellular health and immunity and produce a healthy inflammatory response when taken internally, among other benefits.
I make a rollerball with these oils and also add lemon and the On Guard blend which features cinnamon and clove. I will do,
- 10 drops of oregano
- 8 drops of thyme
- 8 drops of frankincence
- 5 drops of lemon
- 5 drops of on guard
- Fill the rest with FCO
I apply this rollerball to the feet, spine and belly button EVERY 2 HOURS until they are on the upturn. I have stopped applying my oils prematurely before and my kids started feeling unwell again, so keep applying!
If you keep these natural remedies on hand you can start to practice holistic healing in your home. By helping our babies heal naturally, the way their little systems where designed to, we are helping them build their natural immune defenses and future protection.
Mamas….that’s a win!!!!