Ever checked the ingredients on your baby wipes? Cosmetics Database gives you a complete list and a hazard rating of the different brands of wipes.
Pampers Clean and Go Wipes Contain:
Water, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Caprylic Triglyceride, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Benzyl Alcohol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Citric Acid, Fragrance
Clean and Go Wipes are given a 5 for hazard (out of 10) and warnings include possible allergies, immunotoxicity and organ system toxicity. No thanks!
Huggies Cucumber and Green Tea Wipes
Ingredients: Water, Potassium Laureth Phosphate, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, DMDM Hydantoin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Malic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance
These wipes have a hazard rating of 7 and ingredients have been linked to cancer, immunotoxicity, allergies, developmental problems, reproductive toxicity, organ dysfunction, endocrine disruption and cellular changes.
Homemade Baby Wipe Ingredients:
- 1 roll of heavy duty paper towels (Note: Use Bounty for wipes. Cheap paper towels do not work for wipes)
- Rubbermaid #6 or #8 container- (Old wipes containers, plastic shoe box containers, old plastic coffee containers or empty gallon plastic ice cream buckets also work. )
- 1 3/4 cups boiled water (or distilled)-cooled but still warm – (can just use regular water if you use them in less than a week)
- 1 Tablespoon of pure aloe vera
- 1 Tablespoon of pure Witch Hazel Extract
- 2 Tablespoons of Liquid Castille Soap (Dr.Bronner’sisagreat brand)
- 10 drops Grape fruit Seed Extract or 2capsules of Vitamin E (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive or Almond Oil (optional)
- Essential Oils of choice (optional-6 drops each of orange and lavender)
How to Make Homemade Natural Baby Wipes
- Cut the roll of paper towels in half using a sharp knife
- If using a plastic shoe box or old wipe container, accordion foldthe wipes into the container. If using a Rubbermaid #6 container (highly recommend), place the wipes, cut side down in container.
- In bowl or quart size jar mix the water, aloe, witch hazel, castille soap, GSE/Vitamin E and oil and stir.
- Add essential oils if desired and stir
- Pour over paper towels in container and let absorb- this takes about 5-10 minutes.
- Flip the container over to make sure wipes are well soaked.
- If using Rubbermaid container, pull the cardboard roll out fromthe inside This should also pull the innermost wipe out and start them for you. Depending on the brand of paper towels you use, you might have to experiment with the amount of water to get the right amount.
- Use as you would regular wipes, and smile, knowing you are not causing your beautiful child any future health problems!
- Note: If your child has extremely sensitive skin, you may need to leave out the essential oils or use calendula or chamomile.